How can food technologists fulfill consumers’ desire for just-made freshness? TREHA® trehalose maintains and enhances original food and beverage quality, helping formulators develop products that taste and smell as good as they look. With benefits for flavor, texture and freshness, trehalose delivers a multi-sensory experience. A unique ingredient found in nature, trehalose offers multi-functionality across a wide range of applications, helping to bring out the best in your products.
TREHA® trehalose is a multi-functional disaccharide with unique benefits for freshness, texture, and flavor/aroma in food and beverages. Trehalose is naturally occurring in many common foods, such as mushrooms, baker’s yeast and honey. As an ingredient, TREHA® has unique benefits across a wide range of applications, including bakery, snack, confection, meat and seafood, fruit and vegetable processing, and beverages.
- Managing moisture in food (including donut glaze stability and stability of fillings)
- Freeze-thaw stability (less freeze thaw damage)
- Color retention (especially for processed fruits and vegetables)
- Unique crispiness (baked, fried and extruded snacks)
- Smooth creaminess (custards and frozen desserts)
- Extended shelf-life (texture stability of snacks and baked goods)
- Off-Flavor masking (off-notes of sweeteners, amino acids, and vitamins and minerals)
- Enhanced intensity (citrus flavors and more)
- Masks odors (negative aromas of seafood and vitamins and minerals)
Trehalose is a unique crystalline disaccharide composed of two glucose molecules bound in a highly stable α,α–1,1 linkage. Its physical properties include:
- High heat and acid stability: Trehalose is stable under high temperature and low pH conditions. It does not break down into its component parts as other saccharides do.
- Non-browning: Trehalose is non-reducing and will not brown via the Maillard reaction.
- Low hygroscopicity (moisture attraction): Trehalose is free-flowing up to 94% relative humidity. Its low hygroscopicity allows for controlling moisture migration in various applications.
- High glass transition temperature: Trehalose has a high glass transition temperature compared to other disaccharides. This property has unique benefits for extending the shelf-life of various food product and biomaterials.
NAGASE is the leading global trehalose supplier and manufacturer. In 1995, Hayashibara, a wholly owned subsidiary of NAGASE, was the first company in the world to mass produce trehalose. NAGASE manufactures TREHA® via a proprietary enzymatic process from starch.
Trehalose has been reviewed by all of the major regulatory agencies in the world and found to be safe for use in foods. Trehalose received a “no questions” letter from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is approved as a Novel Food in the European Union. The Joint Committee of Food Additives of the World Health Organization/Food Agricultural and Organization (JECFA of WHO/FAO) reviewed trehalose and provided an ADI of “not specified.” TREHA® is certified as Kosher and Halal. Conventional and Identity Preserved grades are available.
: The Science of Freshness-Delivering Freshness to Packaged and Convenience Foods
Please enter your information to download this document.